HomeOriginWallpapersPicturesShop
Alienware Origin Forums
X

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 04-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
tju76
DB's illegitimate love child

Question Suggested monitor

Hey guys i was wondering if you could give me some monitor suggestions.
1) i am looking between either 120hz "primarily used for 2d gaming/with some 3d games but 3d is not important" i have heard good reviews about the noticable difference in the smothness over 60hz

2) i am also looking at ips monitors like the dell U2410, this computer will be mostly used for gaming, i play games like bf3, mass effect 3, skyrim and other similar games. i dont know how the slow response time will effect my gaming experience.

For your info: my build will be an x79 setup with 2x Gtx 680's with the possibility of adding a 3rd card in the future.

If the slow response time of the ips is not that big of a factor than i think the better picture quality compared to a TN panel will be very beneficial, but 120hz could also be just as benefcial if this setup will be primarily gaming related.

Thank you for your help
tju76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
MrSemperFi
Were All On The Same Team

Tech Re: Suggested monitor

Welcome TJU76,
I recently was gifted/purchased the Samsung 750D 27inch.

I made a comment on the forum about it and gave the wrong model of 950D.
It came from Walmart online and was 580.00 but has since gone up in price. They are both the same EXACT panel and specifications just different stands and the 950D has more input options and a remote control with the T.V. model only.
The letter “D” is the key for any of the Samsung models ( the “D” stands for Displayport) because they make the same monitors 750 and 950 with a T.V. tuner built in and it is NOT the same specifications as the 750D and 950D although they look exactly alike in 23inch and 27 inch.

After MUCH research and reading here is what I have discovered is being misunderstood by very many people.
You cannot get a sustained120HZ from any monitor WITHOUT 3d glasses unless the monitor AND video card have a Display port connection.
For example, my AMD 5870’s have a regular sized Display port ( although a mini Dislayport will achieve the same results) and so does the monitor and Windows and AMD’s Catalyst will report the correct refresh rate of 120hz while 2d gaming and everything else provided you have connected them using a display port connection. HDMI cannot achieve the bandwidth (as of yet) I have not even got around to trying out the 3d glasses that come with it but let me say it is astonishing and amazing the difference in picture quality and colors compared to the Samsung @60hz max. that came with my Genesis.
I chose the 750D over the 950D because some reviews reported a slight variance in picture tearing in the far bottom right corner were the monitor is mounted on the 950D.
If you look up the models I am talking about you will see what I mean.
I hope this help you. I know there are so many companies claiming their monitors are 3d capable, and they are, but they neglect to mention you must wear 3d glasses.
So in closing look for one with a displayport option as well as your video card.
Lots of luck, Semper~Fi
P.S. if you decide to go with a displayport option don’t forget to get the right cable ahead of time so you have it before your system arrives. Remember, if your video card has a mini displayport OUT and the monitor a full size display port IN you need a Mini Male at one end and a Regular size Male at the other. LOL! As funny as it must read! LOL!
MrSemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:37 AM   #3
Tridge
Don't pull his finger

Default Re: Suggested monitor

try monoprice.com for your cables, super cheap.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:10 AM   #4
tju76

so correct me if im wrong but in order to get 120hz while gaming on a monitor that is 120hz 3D, i need to use a display port cable? this is 120hz while not being in 3d because when you are using the glasses you are actually getting 60hz in one eye and 60hz in the other because 3d creates 2 images
Old 04-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
MrSemperFi
Were All On The Same Team

Tech Re: Suggested monitor

You do not need a Displayport cable to see 3d@ 120hz on a 3d capable monitor, But you must wear the 3d glasses.
You can use DVI or HDMI cables if your graphics’ card has those out puts on your 120HZ monitor, but it will only be a max.60HZ refresh rate with those cables/ outputs all the time UNLESS you are wearing 3d capable glasses wether they are active or passive glasses.. If you want a refresh rate continuously at 120hz instead of 60hz without wearing any type of 3d glasses, only a display port capable video card (the card can still have DVI and HDMI options on it) and a display port available port monitor rated for 120hz will give you 120hz refresh rate all the time without wearing 3d glasses. I know it may seem a little confusing which is why ( the devil is in the details of the specs for any of these so called 3d capable monitors touting 120hz capability) I searched all the tech sites I could find in my spare time and did many Google searches to get it straight before I made my purchase of a monitor.
Yes, the glasses split the image more or less from what I recall and is the foundation for all the 3d glasses, but many report headaches’ and un comfortable glasses, some like passive over active some complain some glasses have wider lenses than others and most complain about very dark images with the glasses on. and the shiny glass of the better monitors to be a problem. Incidentally, what I did to solve the shiny glass issue was: I have a regular light in the room that has dual light sockets in it, in one socket is a regular 60 watt bulb and in the other a black light bulb (or purple light) I simply turn off the 60 watt white bulb and turn on the black light for gaming and a small lamp within reach of my fingers next to my gaming desktop that has a small bulb that is dimmer switch controlled just in case I need to look at a flight or game manual (which seems to be often because its been a long time since gaming LOL!) and of coarse if it is day time shades all the way down, at night its not an issue unless you have to many lights on in the room were the monitor is located. Some preffer a satin finish monitor I think the glosser the better.
As far as a know, pretty much all AMD cards in the past 3 years have at least one type of Displayport on them, but not all Nvidia, I don’t think the 580 GTX anything does in any model, but the 590 GTX does.
This is a pretty good link and yes, you will have to do some reading, but the explanations do not come any more detailed and simplified. TweakGuides.com if it does not take you to the home page go there and click on: A Guide to HDTVs and scroll down or click on the 3d link within that part of the guide. also must reading from that site click on :
The Gamer's Graphics & Display Settings Guide
Its easy to get sidetract at this guys site because there is so many interesting topics but he has very detailed explanations and so do other tech sites you can google. I hope this helps. In the end my advise is, if the monitor does not have a display port connection (as well as your video card) and the monitor is not rated specifically for 120hz don't purchase those items unless you do not mind wearing glasses for 3d and are O.K. with 60hz max. consintly without glasses. Doing anything in 2d especially gaming while @120hz is really noticably better than at 60hz. in 2d. Good luck.

Last edited by MrSemperFi; 04-23-2012 at 12:08 AM. Reason: adding info on link
MrSemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
tju76

thank you so much will look at right away