Alienware Origin Forums
X

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 05-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
TheWolf1
Human

Request Damn you AlienFX

Hello!

For months I've tried to use my new AlienFX system without success. I even buned one active card because I've plugged both left pannel and AlienFX base power molex! I now have a whole new AlienFX card and base.

I asked here many times how to install it but it seems that no one can answer it clearly. I tried to contact Alienware many times, but since I'm not a "true" customer, they just ignore me.

I think it may be the power led / hdd led wire that plugs between the mobo and the AlienFX base that might be proprietary or not correct?

I just don't know. Anyway if someone here have a working AlienFX system with a Predator II case, let me know if you are willing to help.

I know this stuff don't work with Vista 64 (which I am using), but lights should at least turn on when I open my PC right? The software is only used to change colors, not turning on lights...

Anyway if someone can help it would be really great, i'm soo tired of trying and failing...
TheWolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
EVIL-SCOTSMAN
WTFNUB

Default Re: Damn you AlienFX

I would if I could but I dont have a case with alienfx, their is one person I know that could help but he has made it clear that he has had enough of helping people regarding alienfx as and I must agree with him to some degree, as their is hundreds of people on these forums just looking how to get alienfx hooked up to a pc after they bought a case with it off of ebay and 99% of the time they dont have the proper setup.

But sorry i cant help as I have the case before the alienfx case was released.
EVIL-SCOTSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
TR 3B
Human

Hello,I might just be able to help.Do you have the 3 very small switches on it as when you buy these they are usually set blank.ie no leds on. If you do move one of the tiny switches and a colour should appear.The 3 switches work by adding a differant colour at each switch so with the 3 colours you can make a lot more colours. If the card does not have the 3 tiny switches its probily the active one witch you will need the software to run with it.Also you say about opening the pc and the lights should come on,behind the door in the hinge corner there is a small micro switch that often gets stuck,this controls the 2 leds that light up the drive bay,give it a bit of a poke to free it and they should come on.I really dont think its to do with the power or ide connection as depending on you set up either the power switch(Alien head) will stay illuminated or it will work as a hardrive activity indicator depending on what way you have these around.The power for the leds comes from your power supply so that should rule that out.
Hope this helps you TR 3B
TR 3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
TheWolf1
Human

I don't have switches on my ALienFx card... I have the active one.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
AlienAndy

Originally Posted by EVIL-SCOTSMAN View Post
I would if I could but I dont have a case with alienfx, their is one person I know that could help but he has made it clear that he has had enough of helping people regarding alienfx as and I must agree with him to some degree, as their is hundreds of people on these forums just looking how to get alienfx hooked up to a pc after they bought a case with it off of ebay and 99% of the time they dont have the proper setup.

But sorry i cant help as I have the case before the alienfx case was released.
Surely it would have been easier to just do a how to and sticky it?

I can see how it would become annoying to keep explaining the same thing over and over again, but doing it once and then simply pointing people to it might have been a bit more diplomatic.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
EVIL-SCOTSMAN
WTFNUB

Well I do agree, I am not sure if their is a thread with the details on how to, I will look it up and if their is I will sticky it, or I will ask the person to make one and see what he says.

TBH, I was thinking about a sticky for it the same day I posted that post, but as i said above I am not sure if their is a how to thread, but i will have a look/ask the dude and hopefully we will get something up in the next day or so.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
TheWolf1
Human

I've searched this forum many times but posts on how to install AlienFx hardware & software are incomplete and or contradictory...
Old 05-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
EVIL-SCOTSMAN
WTFNUB

Well we shall rememdy that in the near future.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
CyborgGreenAW
Probed

Attnmod Re: Damn you AlienFX

Originally Posted by TheWolf1 View Post
Hello!

For months I've tried to use my new AlienFX system without success. I even buned one active card because I've plugged both left pannel and AlienFX base power molex! I now have a whole new AlienFX card and base.

I asked here many times how to install it but it seems that no one can answer it clearly. I tried to contact Alienware many times, but since I'm not a "true" customer, they just ignore me.

I think it may be the power led / hdd led wire that plugs between the mobo and the AlienFX base that might be proprietary or not correct?

I just don't know. Anyway if someone here have a working AlienFX system with a Predator II case, let me know if you are willing to help.

I know this stuff don't work with Vista 64 (which I am using), but lights should at least turn on when I open my PC right? The software is only used to change colors, not turning on lights...

Anyway if someone can help it would be really great, i'm soo tired of trying and failing...
Dude please check your emails I sent you from here when I sold you these parts. The AlienFX software MUST be installed or the lights will not even turn on so you need to put a 32bit OS onto your PC first. As long as the USB connectors & power molex (As you know too well!!) are correct (As per all the emails & pics I sent you!) then just install the AlienFX software and you will then be able to control the lights. Last of all are those other wire(s) your talking about which just control the Alienhead LED. You can get it working without those wires as they just make the basic circuit. The essential wiring is the USB, power molex & serial cable on the controller card but the AlienFX software is also mega essential as it puts system files on your PC which control the card turning on for the first time on your PC (it queries the AlienFX Active Card & writes a new AlienFX bios to it when you first install the software). Without AlienFX software the card never ever works (unless its replacing the exact same part like for like). If you have a dual boot system with both a 32 bit & 64 bit OS on it as long as the 32 bit OS has AlienFX when you boot into the 64 bit OS in theory the lights will remain in the same colour state as when you last configured them from the AlienFX software in the 32 bit OS. So if you have a 64bit OS the lights will remain on but no AlienFX software features will work as these are controlled from the 32bit software on your 32bit OS. Someone managed to hack these and get them working on Alienware Laptops only with 64bit OSes but has not been able to do so for desktops. Search around these forums as the guy posted how to do so on here about a year or so ago but that will not help you as no-one I am aware of has managed to get these working on their desktop as its much more involved than the laptop workaround.

The desktop software queries your PC for a whole range of variables to determine if it has an Alienware motherboards bios (you can easily change via regedit your bios vendor entry in the OS to overcome this) then if its got the correct version of Dot.net installed, then to see if the correct OS is installed after all of this for the first time install it overwrites the bios on the AlienFX Active hardware card before continuing to install the software. The Alienware software is also protected by an encrypted installshield but I managed to extract the files although it does not help at all as unless all the registry entries are correct & the software is installed correctly it never works as it creates some hidden service as well as hidden device drivers which are set to start when the OS boots. Much more complex than just copying files/folders across!!

Until you buy a 32bit OS to install as a dual boot (or standalone) Active AlienFX will never work!!

I believe Microsoft allow you to reuse your 64 bit serial number and downgrade it. Just reinstall your OS from 32bit media and supply your 64bit serial key. As long as the serial key is valid and not pirated MS will allow the OS to be reactivated as on Vista they are not enforcing hardware changes if you need to call them just say your motherboard failed or something then they will give you over the phone a new activation code. It may however just automatically activate. I know people who have done this several times on different motherboards with the same valid serial number. MS are not even checking if its the same mobo or not as long as the serial number is legitimate they are not enforcing their own strict licensing terms. MS seem to be happy as long as your only using the serial number for 1 PC. If someone tried to use the serial number for more than 1 PC then yes they would find activation problems. I think the strict licensing laws on Vista are more to deter the OEM's than home enthusiasts who build their own PC's and wish to reuse their serial key again on the same PC with different hardware.
Alienware Area51, Cyborg Green Predator Case V2 + AlienFX, Intel I7-980X, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 3GB, GTX480, Dell 2405WS
Spare machine!!!:
Alienware Area 51, Cyborg Green Predator Case V1.0 with Green Alien Eyes,Intel 3.8Ghz, Asus P5WD2, Nvidia 8600GTS, 2GB
CyborgGreenAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
lukeg310
Human

I got a p2 case that came with one motherboard to usb cable, one fmotherboard to firewire cable, and a power cable. I put the usb cable to connect to the motherboard along the power cable. I connected the PSU and the cables that go on the side to power the side pannels The lights turn blue. I installed my xp 32bit and have the latest dot.net software. I installed AlienFX and I get an error with communication to the controller. The controller has USB in and USB out, would lack communication be because I dont have anything connected there for usb? if I do need a motherboard usb cable, can I get one at frys electronics? or do I have to get it from alienware? thanks
lukeg310 is offline   Reply With Quote