HomeOriginWallpapersPicturesShop
Alienware Origin Forums
X

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 11-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Ex_Brit
AW - Origin Soon I Hope

Question BIOS Update Fails: Error: File ROM ID Incorrect

This question is dotted all over the web and no-one has ever answered it which I find very surprising. Why do A/W put out BIOS updates as .ISO images which are useless when the motherboard makers put them out as .ROM files which work first time?

I see that A/W have BIOS version 1504 available and mine is at 0406 but things weren't as they should be so please read on because I need to update the BIOS for reasons stated later....

Note: I have no floppy drive.

I've tried burning the ISO to a CDRW and booting from it but the AFUDOS utility says always A:\ Error: File ROM ID Incorrect (looking for a .rom file)

I tried putting the ISO image on a FAT32 USB stick and pressing Alt+F2 on bootup to get the EZFlash utuility to open. It sees that drive but doesn't recognize the ISO.

Without a floppy disk I have no other means of updating my BIOS I believe, although you'll have to forgive me, it's been years since I updated a BIOS and this ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 is quite the new alien monster as far as I'm concerned so not too sure of anything...!

As a side note the My Hive download page for my rig shows all Area-51 ALX downloads even though this was not an Area-51 machine, but I assume they are the same. I did contact live support and went through this step-by-step with a technician in Costa Rica of all places and we failed to get it to work. He even sent me a specific BIOS for the ALX-X58.

Edit: I have successfully updated my BIOS using an ASUS BIOS update (which no doubt has invalidated my warranty...??) which comes in the form of a .ROM extension and can be saved to a flash drive. The EZ Flash utility built into the BIOS can then be used to easily update the BIOS.
A/W by contrast issue BIOS updates in .ISO format - that is the problem. I've posted on their Tech Support Forums regarding that but don't hold much hope of getting a positive or constructive answer. The "MyHive" no longer has a place where you can pose questions online and they would be held in "MyStuff" and answered by Technicians directly.

The whole reason for wanting to update the BIOS was that a) the machine was extremely slow booting - now cured. and b) Problems with the supplied Logitech G15 keyboard not being seen at POST and that also was cured. (The latter was specifically mentioned as a fix in the BIOS update I used).

No thanks to Alienware - now they probably wont honour the extended warranty I purchased, all because their own BIOS updates don't work.

The only difference now is I have an ASUS POST image rather than that rather amateurish and blurry ALX image.

Last edited by Ex_Brit; 11-16-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Ex_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
Ex_Brit
AW - Origin Soon I Hope

Default Re: BIOS Update Fails: Error: File ROM ID Incorrect

Well this had seen the same enthusiasm as my post at Alienware's own forums. No reply.

I would love to know why they insist on posting BIOS updates that aren't usable.
Ex_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote