HomeOriginWallpapersPicturesShop
Alienware Origin Forums
X

Reply Bookmark and Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
nisswa789
DB's illegitimate love child
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9
Attn GPS tracking system for alienware?

the main reason I bought my new Alienware Aurora Desktop is because my last desktop recently got stolen last week and I would really like to not have the same event happen again..... so I was wondering if any of you know any good tracking system for a Alienware Aurora Desktop? I have heard of Lojack but they are mainly for laptops and are not able to be embedded into the bios on desktops unlike laptops... and they only have a 75% success rate at retrieving the computers that have their software so does anyone know anything better That could be placed on a Alienware Aurora Desktop? like a computer chip? Or something that could trace back to the current location of my desktop , without even having to be plugged in if I wanted it to? also not to have whatever the software/chip give away any private information.

I apologize for the long rambling message, but I wanted to make sure my point was made clear. I also apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forums Thank you in advance if you can help.

Last edited by nisswa789; 04-16-2010 at 10:21 PM.
nisswa789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
MrSemperFi
Were All On The Same Team
 
MrSemperFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CapeCod,Massachusetts
Posts: 270
Default Re: GPS tracking system for alienware?

Originally Posted by nisswa789 View Post
the main reason I bought my new Alienware Aurora Desktop is because my last desktop recently got stolen last week and I would really like to not have the same event happen again..... so I was wondering if any of you know any good tracking system for a Alienware Aurora Desktop? I have heard of Lojack but they are mainly for laptops and are not able to be embedded into the bios on desktops unlike laptops... and they only have a 75% success rate at retrieving the computers that have their software so does anyone know anything better That could be placed on a Alienware Aurora Desktop? like a computer chip? Or something that could trace back to the current location of my desktop , without even having to be plugged in if I wanted it to? also not to have whatever the software/chip give away any private information.

I apologize for the long rambling message, but I wanted to make sure my point was made clear. I also apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forums Thank you in advance if you can help.
Hello Nisswa789,
Sorry to hear about your crime of dishonesty.
When I was looking to purchase a laptop for my wife about two years ago I looked into ways of locking it up/down so it couldn’t just be picked up and walked away with. I googled “Security/Laptop” and got the first ten pages of hundreds of ideas.
I have not looked since then but under the circumstances seeing as you mentioned it just happened to you there are a few things you may want to consider before it arrives.

Most of this stuff you may already have thought of But? Maybe not? And it goes to all things in general with information.

(Yes, it really stinks that there are some pretty evil jerks around and are capable of a lot worse than separating you from your personal possessions’ and leaving you to maybe feel very violated )

So consider:
Unless you are really confident about your security surroundings like, locks, cameras, dogs, weapons’ don’t post your last name or precisely where you live which I know most wouldn’t for obvious reasons but sometimes people just forget.

I know for instance that just an E-mail address can get someone/s everything they want if they know how to look it up on line for relatively little money.

If someone/s got away with it once, they may think they can do it again the same way and even think you may replace whatever was stolen.

Unfortunately if you brag about your new (whatever) pay attention to your surroundings.

If you or someone you know is clever you can make a pretty nice professional looking table top with a way to lock your desktop in place without getting in the way of air flow or making it look silly.

I never posted final pics of my system.

Like laptops, I think some desktops have the same hole in the back for a security cable/wire (Targus makes one) but I don’t know what would happen if someone broke it off other than smashing up the side.

If it is done real well just one look someone/s would realize that the unit would have to be virtually destroyed just to get in it and most parts would get ruined in the process even if the noise was not a factor.

And lets not forget about the weight of these things LOL!

I don’t care who, how many, or how big and strong they may be, IF they had to go anymore than out the door of a home to a waiting vehicle

(those Alienwares and Genesis are awkward and heavy, so unless they are doing like that program on TLC where these two guys tell you they are going to break into your home and then show you ways on how to HELP prevent it )

Seeing someone/s walking down the street or road with especially an Alienware would be an unusual sight if someone/s were to see it.

So, good luck and if this is the wrong place for your post and my reply the forum monitors are awesome at moving these around and helping us relatively new bees learn.

I would have to believe someone must have some more easier software related ideas too.

In the end though, it would be good that at a glance even an idiot thief could tell “Wow, this just isn’t worth it”
MrSemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
nisswa789
DB's illegitimate love child
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9
Default Re: GPS tracking system for alienware?

thanks for the tips man i will try some of these but if ANYONE knows any good tracking software that could get find the people in the the event that they got this new desktop please post here ty
nisswa789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
celticcoho
Veteran of U.S.
 
celticcoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alaska
Posts: 413
Send a message via Yahoo to celticcoho
Default Re: GPS tracking system for alienware?

Originally Posted by nisswa789 View Post
thanks for the tips man i will try some of these but if ANYONE knows any good tracking software that could get find the people in the the event that they got this new desktop please post here ty
haven't heard of one, maybe a "dog chip" they can scan???or protect your home and it's contents, Home owner's insurance!!! Then it's loss is covered. If you rent!! Renter's Insurance....until they have the lowjack for PC's

maybe OnStar?? it's a down load for Cars, why not a PC, its all software related!!!!

Last edited by celticcoho; 04-18-2010 at 12:32 AM.
celticcoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #5
nisswa789
DB's illegitimate love child
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9
Default Re: GPS tracking system for alienware?

good ideas i do have insurance but the insurance people are being real @$##$ about things so i just wanted to know what was out there TY if anyone has any other ideas please post here as well

Last edited by nisswa789; 04-18-2010 at 01:12 AM.
nisswa789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
celticcoho
Veteran of U.S.
 
celticcoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alaska
Posts: 413
Send a message via Yahoo to celticcoho
Serious Re: GPS tracking system for alienware?

Desktop Computer Security / Desktop Computer Locks

hope this helps put you in the right direction, Jim
celticcoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
nisswa789
DB's illegitimate love child
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9
Default Re: GPS tracking system for alienware?

Originally Posted by celticcoho View Post
Desktop Computer Security / Desktop Computer Locks

hope this helps put you in the right direction, Jim
TY i think this is it
nisswa789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to connect the light system in Alienware Predator 2.0 case ? Partha Support & Troubleshooting 18 08-04-2011 03:51 AM
my new system whostheboss System Reviews 4 03-12-2010 12:26 PM
Gps Pod Rants n' Raves 9 06-07-2008 03:55 PM
Alienware system pictures on homepage Tridge The Ask Around 2 03-30-2006 02:21 PM

X
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:02 AM.