Alienware Origin Forums
X

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Willyfisch
DB's illegitimate love child

Default Origin getting paid by Nvidia to drop AMD

Hey guys,

I just read this article from Semiaccurate, which says that Origin is getting paid by Nvidia to drop AMD graphics cards, and wanted to know what the Origin-PC community thinks about this. For those who don't know Semiaccurate, it is a very (or pretty much the only) reliable source for semiconductor news.

Here is the article, I think its worth the read:

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/10/05/much-nvidia-pay-origin-pc-drop-amd/

Last edited by Willyfisch; 10-05-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Willyfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
Marcellas
Insider

Send a message via MSN to Marcellas Send a message via Skype™ to Marcellas
Default Re: Origin getting paid by Nvidia to drop AMD

Originally Posted by Willyfisch View Post
Hey guys,

I just read this article from Semiaccurate, which says that Origin is getting paid by Nvidia to drop AMD graphics cards, and wanted to know what the Origin-PC community thinks about this. For those who don't know Semiaccurate, it is a very (or pretty much the only) reliable source for semiconductor news.

Here is the article, I think its worth the read:

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/10/05/much-nvidia-pay-origin-pc-drop-amd/
Reads like the technological version of national inquirer. Good stuff.
Marcellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
RedPhyve
He Who Must Be Obeyed

Send a message via ICQ to RedPhyve Send a message via MSN to RedPhyve
Attn Breaking News!!! OriginPC drops AMD.

Story HERE!

RedPhyve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
Badkarma04
Retired Chief

Default Re: Breaking News!!! OriginPC drops AMD.

Years ago, I used exclusively ATI cards but I haven't had one since the X850XT PE. It's been Nvidia ever since, but I still believe AMD offers some great GPUs that give Nvidia a run for their money. I think I would understand this more if Origin had dropped AMD's CPUs. Yes, they are much less expensive but Intel has been running circles around them for years.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
Kagema
Human

Default Re: Breaking News!!! OriginPC drops AMD.

How much did Nvidia pay Origin PC to drop AMD? | SemiAccurate

Long story short Kevin took a lot of money from nvidia to stop selling amd gpus and nvidia is retaliating for amd scooping up all the console contracts and are shitting bricks because everyone knows the Hawaii line is going to totally undercut the titan and gx series.
Kagema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #6
Kagema
Human

What's behind Origin PC's decision to so publicly dump AMD video cards? | PCWorld

Here's a more reliable source then. To be honest if people want amd origin should offer them.
The timing of this announcement and the fact that they even made announcement in the first place is what makes this suspicious. AMD isn't that bad where the ceo needs to go out of his way to bad mouth AMD and drop support entirely.

This all stems from the fact that the gtx series and more specifically the titan is about to be severely undercut by amd. Also since nvidia is being locked out of gaming consoles they won't have any synergies with games or be able to broker exclusive deals like before.

Long story short origin received payola and nvidia is a sore loser
Kagema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Badkarma04
Retired Chief

Originally Posted by Kagema View Post
What's behind Origin PC's decision to so publicly dump AMD video cards? | PCWorld

Here's a more reliable source then. To be honest if people want amd origin should offer them.
The timing of this announcement and the fact that they even made announcement in the first place is what makes this suspicious. AMD isn't that bad where the ceo needs to go out of his way to bad mouth AMD and drop support entirely.

This all stems from the fact that the gtx series and more specifically the titan is about to be severely undercut by amd. Also since nvidia is being locked out of gaming consoles they won't have any synergies with games or be able to broker exclusive deals like before.

Long story short origin received payola and nvidia is a sore loser
How is the Titan about to be undercut by AMD? Competitors always claim that their new, yet un released, product will blow away the competition. Sometimes it does, but it most cases it's only a little faster. The problem is AMD drivers are crap. I'd rather have a slightly slower card that is stable and runs all of my games than a slightly faster card that has a plethora of software and compatibility problems.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
hairbautt
*haircut

Yea, the AMD drivers are infamous so I can actually see this as being an issue with support especially given my own personal account with their drivers.
WinTV-HVR 2250 with Remote | Media Card Reader | XBOX 360 Wireless Controller
PIXMA MG6220 AIO | C920 HD Pro | G19 Keyboard | G700s Mouse
RealTek ALC892 Audio | X-540 5.1 Speakers | G35 7.1 Headset
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | Biometric Reader | 1.2KW PSU | 1500 & 550 VA UPS
Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center, 64-bit | Corsair 600T with LEDs
hairbautt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
RedPhyve
He Who Must Be Obeyed

Send a message via ICQ to RedPhyve Send a message via MSN to RedPhyve

Judging from what I have read and heard, the failure rates and support issues with the AMD cards is part of the issue and has been spoken about before.

These are direct quotes for you.

"Primarily the overall issues have been stability of the cards, overheating, performance, scaling and the amount of time to receive new drivers on both desktop and mobile GPUs," said Alvaro Masis, a technical support manager at Origin.

Original Article HERE

And with regard to Origin being paid, I give you this direct quote from Kevin Wasielewski himself.

"I pressed Origin PC CEO Kevin Wasielewski for additional comment. I asked him if Nvidia had given money to Origin PC — my questions and Kevin’s answers are below:

Devin Connors: Has Origin PC received any incentive, cash or otherwise, from Nvidia that led to the discontinuation of AMD GPU sales by Origin PC?

Kevin Wasielewski: No. In fact, I called my NVIDIA rep and told them I am dropping AMD. Not the other way around.

DC: Did SemiAccurate reach out to you for comment before they published their article today?

KW: They did not reach out to me. No calls, emails, or tweets."

Original Article Here.

RedPhyve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
OriginRichard
That Origin guy

Hey Guys,

The decision to take AMD GPU’s off the web was made based on support. More Specifically, support from AMD to Origin, and Origin to our customers.
Take their last chipset announcement for example. It was another hardware representative that informed us of the new Hawaii chipset. AMD never told us anything about it, nor shared a road map outlining its future integration. When we did get with our AMD representative, we were told that there was a new chipset launching, and we could watch the event live and get answers to our questions. We also asked for samples to start our research and development process, something that is standard in the industry for bleeding edge integrators, and we were met with resistance there. How can we ask questions at the event live, if we haven't had a chance to R & D the reference boards? When they did agree to send samples it was for 2 R9 270’s, rather than the R9 280's or 290's that we would be more likely to offer. We are performance based and focus on high end systems. Moreover, this wasn’t the first time AMD had done something like this to us. Support from AMD to Origin hasn’t been where it should be or up to par like we get from other vendors. In my opinion it's due to our size. We don’t move enough AMD product for them to worry about us. You would think they would work with us to help grow the Origin- AMD business relationship.
With regard to supporting Origin customers who chose AMD product, it’s been an uphill battle. ”Primarily the overall issues have been stability of the cards, overheating, performance, scaling, and the amount of time to receive new drivers on both desktop and mobile GPUs”.
Those 2 issues, combined with the very low percentage of Radeon cards that we sell, it didn’t make sense to continue offering AMD GPU’s. The way they treated Origin during the announcement of the Hawaii GPU showed AMD didn’t care for Origin's business relationship. In effect, AMD dropped us.
As far as Nvidia paying Origin to do it, that simply didn’t happen. Nvidia doesn’t make enough in sales from Origin PC to justify the allegation. The numbers aren’t there for Nvidia to come close to six figures, (or any amount) the basic math shows that. Without giving away trade secrets, Nvidia doesn't make the cards, they make the GPUs. So every time Manufacturer X sells a video card, Nvidia makes a small percentage. If you multiply that number by how many systems we sell per year, the allegations simply don't add up.
Conspiracy is exciting, and everyone loves controversy. The reality is, it's nothing that exciting. We feel AMD left us hanging on both sides of support so we reacted. If and when things change and we feel we can offer AMD and provide systems to our customers that will provide the best overall experience we will. We don’t have brand loyalty. We have customer loyalty.

Richard

Follow us on Facebook
www.facebook.com/originpc

Last edited by RedPhyve; 10-07-2013 at 03:44 PM.
OriginRichard is offline   Reply With Quote