Announcement

Collapse

IMPORTANT Announcement.

Hello to all members new and old. Welcome to Origin Niche.

Just want to say that if you have posted in the tech-support forum or are just generally looking for help or an assist with something, and you think that nobody has seen your post, please feel free to PM me or any of the other Moderators and Administrators, we'll reply as soon as we can.

Redphyve
(Admin)
See more
See less

Occulus's New Path

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occulus's New Path

I hope as many people are or were following the development of the Occulus Rift VR... Now that it has been assimilated by Facebook, anyone have an opinion of where this technology is heading? Or even the company? I seen a lot of rants and raves.... and maybe a needle in a hay stack of a positive comment about the acquisition. I'm also looking for possible alternatives for VR saying this went sour.

Re: Occulus's New Path

I only used oculus rift once, and it was to integrate it into VR training for some simulations we had been contracted for.

It was a cool thing I thought, and the picture wasn't as choppy as the previous attempts at VR headsets. (Read: it didn't make anyone motion sick xD )

However we eventually dropped it from our project, as it just wasn't practical for our uses.

I feel like this is most peoples stance on the Occulus Rift, it's a cool product, and really neat to try, but it's not useful enough yet to provide motivation for integration into projects, and because of that, it stayed on the back burner, and will probably stay there.

Now that Facebook acquired it, I have a sinking feeling it's going to be totally ruined, because well... Facebook. But hey, I'm just a bitter man, what do I know?

Then again, I would say the military applications for VR are pretty broad, so who knows.

As far as general public goes though, most don't like to have something strapped to their head to play games, watch movies etc. That's why 3D still hasn't taken off. So I think it'll be a hard press to get people interested in VR...
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    If you play Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat for PS4, send me a msg, always looking for more practice partners! Currently preparing for EVO 2016!

I scaled my pictures down finally, so my Millennium review is more user friendly and accessible! It can be found here -> *My Origin system review*

Comment

I personally agree'd with you a bit. Sadly the sold out for a very overvalued facebook stock and bit of instant cash. On the other side, virtual reality is doomed to be either large scale, or worn small scale. I can see the future of VR being something similar to Google glass though.

I had some interest in seeings something like the .hack/ series happening, - the coma part. But I think it could take gaming, and gaming platforms to a new level.

Comment

Having personally used google glass, well before the general public ever got to use it, I have to say it's not all it was cracked up to be...

First of all, the eye piece is odd. It's really uncomfortable to look upwards at it all the time, and it's small. Really really small.

Being able to swipe your headpiece to cycle the glass is alright. But it's definitely not something that I would ever want to use.

A regular cell phone has way more functionality.

Also, people look at you weird when you go into places wearing it. xD Like... almost angry looks.

However I know I wouldn't wish anything the same future of google glass... It's not the wonder device people hope it is, at least until it gets improved on a bit.
        Last edited by Hellfire-1; 04-17-2014, 04:36 AM.
        ------------------------------------------------------------
        If you play Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat for PS4, send me a msg, always looking for more practice partners! Currently preparing for EVO 2016!

I scaled my pictures down finally, so my Millennium review is more user friendly and accessible! It can be found here -> *My Origin system review*

Comment

So... There I was, and I ordered a DK2... I am going to start trying my hand at some programming and well.... test it out as well. This is going to be epic because I'm going to try it on my laptop though it's not recommended at all.

Comment

I seem to be a bit late to the party, nevertheless at this point I'm more interested in SteamVR (otherwise known as the HTC Vive). Along with supposedly better tracking, and the ability to track handheld gadgets. I'm more willing to spend money on something Steam is backing than something Facebook is backing.

Note that I haven't read too much into specs/other besides that the HTC Vive has some handheld gadgets (which seems to be better for games/simulations in the first place). They both appear to come with the same resolution as of this moment 2160×1200, or 1080x1200 in each eye. The refresh rate also seems to be the same in both devices at 90hz.

My reason for not going all out researching these products at this time is frankly because they change to much about their product every so often for me to care about what's better at this point.
            Last edited by GMatt; 09-26-2015, 09:26 AM.
            This signature brought to you by Lightspeed briefs.

Comment

Working...
            X