Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No EA Origin Games Support Here

EA Origins is a separate company with its own support pages.
2 of 2 < >

Service Notice During Covid-19 Pandemic

Service in these Forums will be very slow during the Covid-19 Emergency
See more
See less

Eon 15-S Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eon 15-S Advice

I'm looking into laptops for college, and I saw that Origin had released the 15-S. I was just wondering if someone could look over the specs I'm considering and could offer some advice/review/suggestions/etc.

Base Unit - [$1724.00]
    Single 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M
    Intel Core i7-2720QM Quad-Core Processor (2.20GHz), 6MB Cache - [+$175.00]
    8GB Kingston HyperX Dual-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - [+$90.00]
    120GB Intel 510 Series(Elm Crest) Solid State Drive* - [+$268.00]
    6X Blu-ray Reader/8X DVD+/-R/2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive - [+$95.00]
    Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 Wireless dual-band module - [$49.00]
    Internal Bluetooth Module
    2.0 Megapixel Video Camera
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition
    1 Year Part Replacement and 45 Day Free Shipping Warranty**
    ORIGIN Wooden Crate Armor - [+$39.00]
    Iomega 1TB eSATA External Hard Drive - [+$144.00]
    No "Additional Full Range Autoswitch AC Adapter 120W" (Is this useful?)

Total: $2584.00

*I hear that the Vertex 3 SSD's are faster than the Intel 510 Series and cheaper to boot. Would Origin change to the Vertex 3 if I asked them to (even though they don't offer it on their list of hard drives)? Also, if they would be willing to change it, would I have to buy and send them the part myself or would they be able to do that on their own time?

My main issue is that my budget is preferably around $2500 - $3000, but shipping is like $120 and Microsoft Office is another $150 which would bring my order around $2850.

The uses of the laptop would mainly entail the basic commodities of college (word processing, powerpoints, internet, etc), the running of engineering and rendering programs, and occasional gaming. I'm also thinking about using the laptop to record/stream random things off my PS3 (on that note, would the TV Tuner allow me to do this or should I invest in a Hauppauge HDPVR or Blackmagic Intensity Pro?). This laptop will have to last me at least 4 years in college, and I would prefer to have it before summer (May).

For audio, I already have a set of Astro A40's with the Mixamp with an optical cable as my form of connection.

For security, I was wondering if it'd be worth it to purchase the Lojack and Norton offers. However, I was also considering buying a Kaspersky license instead. Any suggestions for this sort of thing?

They internet speed at my college from the speed tests I've seen is about 300-600 mbps download and 2-3 mbps upload.

I tend to try and purchase things that are powerful and will last a long time, so the prospect of a high performance laptop is appealing to me. I know this is mainly an Origin/Alienware forum, but I'd be willing to consider computers of other brands (I've heard Sager is pretty good) so long as they carry a Sandy Bridge processor.

So any advice from anybody? Anything I should try to add/remove/consider? Sorry for the wall of text, and I'd appreciate any help!

Re: Eon 15-S Advice

Alright, I'm certainly not a hardware expert, so I'll just throw in my two cents where I can in here.

Originally posted by Iconic View Post
    My main issue is that my budget is preferably around $2500 - $3000, but shipping is like $120 and Microsoft Office is another $150 which would bring my order around $2850.
    Colleges often offers student discounts on software, either through their store or in the case of Microsoft, through the MSDN program. So that's one option - another is to just use a free software package like OpenOffice.

For security, I was wondering if it'd be worth it to purchase the Lojack and Norton offers. However, I was also considering buying a Kaspersky license instead. Any suggestions for this sort of thing?
    Obviously this is just my opinion, but I'm not sure that Lojack is worth it. I've read reviews about it, and the common opinion seems to be that while the program works well, your local police just may not care enough to actually recover it. If you want to save some more money, there is an open source program called Prey that you may be interested in.

Norton doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to detecting things. Personally I use the free version of Avira, but there are a good number of other options as well - many of them free! First of all, I've heard Microsoft Security Essentials is surprisingly good, so you could always go that direction. Other commonly used options are Avast and Panda. I honestly don't recall hearing about Kaspersky, so afraid I can't help much there. I'd look around, I'm sure there are a good number of articles out there comparing various programs.

So any advice from anybody? Anything I should try to add/remove/consider? Sorry for the wall of text, and I'd appreciate any help!
    I know little about SSDs in general, but if you're doing school stuff, plus engineering stuff, plus gaming, I imagine that 120gig may not last long. Are you considering toting around an external HD? Or I read an article about how to pop a HD into an optical tray for use as a secondary drive - I'm considering that option myself.

I also remember reading somewhere on these forums (apologies for not remembering the author) that if you ever want to use more than 16g of RAM, you should get Windows 7 Pro, since Home can only utilize 16g and under.

Alright, that's all I have for now, hopefully one of the hardware guys will swing by here and help ya out with that part of it.

Comment

Call Origin and go through your order. They can get you anyhting you want for the build even if it is not listed on the site. Also you can purchase something - like your SSD - and send it to them to be included in the build. I'm not sure, but I think they only charge for the part not the service of getting something for you. It will also push shipping back if the part is hard to get.
      You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

M17X Black Metallic- Intel Core2 Duo T9600 2.8 GHz, 6 GB RAM 1066MHz, 17.0 WUXGA, 1GB Dual GTX 260M SLI-enabled, 250 GB 7200 rpm HD, 8X Dual Layer DVD Burner, Windows7 Ultimate 64bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Melde View Post
        I know little about SSDs in general, but if you're doing school stuff, plus engineering stuff, plus gaming, I imagine that 120gig may not last long. Are you considering toting around an external HD? Or I read an article about how to pop a HD into an optical tray for use as a secondary drive - I'm considering that option myself.
        I did consider this as an issue, but since I think I'll get the external 1TB HD, I was hoping it wouldn't be too much of a problem (I would just transfer anything from the HD to the laptop when I needed it). I'm not too keen losing the optical drive for a second HD just in case I would need to use it for an installation CD or something.

Edit:
        Regarding the hard drives... would someone be able to tell me whether or not a SSD is worth the extra money? To get the Intel 510 SSD (120 GB) and the external hard drive (1 TB), I would have to pay about $412. On the other hand, I could get a 750GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive for $67. Is the difference in the price worth the performance?
        Last edited by Iconic; 03-06-2011, 08:59 PM. Reason: Adding question

Comment

Increase that warranty to 3 years, you dont want that thing going down when your broke at school

Comment

Originally posted by Oopsypoopsy View Post
            Increase that warranty to 3 years, you dont want that thing going down when your broke at school
            I've only ever had 3 computers in my lifetime (each lasting around 5 years), and all my laptops have lasted at least 3 years as well, so I'm not used to the concept of a PC dying out early on. Is it likely that the Eon 15-S would die on me within 3 years or so?

Comment

I've only ever had 3 computers in my lifetime (each lasting around 5 years), and all my laptops have lasted at least 3 years as well, so I'm not used to the concept of a PC dying out early on. Is it likely that the Eon 15-S would die on me within 3 years or so?
              NOOOOO. I sincerely doubt that. Even if so it would be easy to get new parts. However I really do recommend getting the 3 year warranty. You want to be completely taken care of if anything ever happens. In my opinion it is a must.

Originally posted by Iconic
              Edit:
              Regarding the hard drives... would someone be able to tell me whether or not a SSD is worth the extra money? To get the Intel 510 SSD (120 GB) and the external hard drive (1 TB), I would have to pay about $412. On the other hand, I could get a 750GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive for $67. Is the difference in the price worth the performance?
              YES!. A SSD is flat out one of the best upgrades you can do for your computer. Especially a laptop. My current laptop is running (2) 128gb ssd in raid 0. I store everything else on my desktop or external hard drive.
              Last edited by RDS4Life; 03-09-2011, 01:56 AM.
              Origin S.O. #39 "Nefarious"

Comment

Appreciate the help so far, and sorry about all these questions but...

Since the 15-S only allows for one hard drive, would getting a SSD and a 1 TB external drive be better than a normal 750 GB hard drive? I don't think I can really afford any SSD larger than 128 GB, so I would just have to hope that it would be enough for the OS plus any other files I might need to bring around with me.

Comment

I just ordered a 128GB Crucial SSD, that went on sale at Newegg. I plan on requesting that it be installed on my system once I order it. From everything that I've read and heard about SSD's, they really are worth it. I have a 1TB plus a new 2TB external that more than makes up for storage.

Comment

Appreciate the help so far, and sorry about all these questions but...

Since the 15-S only allows for one hard drive, would getting a SSD and a 1 TB external drive be better than a normal 750 GB hard drive? I don't think I can really afford any SSD larger than 128 GB, so I would just have to hope that it would be enough for the OS plus any other files I might need to bring around with me.
                    If I was you and I would upgrade to the 17s it cost maybe 50 bucks more and the extra slot for storage alone I think is worth it

Comment

I considered the 17-S but my main problem is that I would be lugging it around for college and a 17 inch is rather difficult to work with in that regard.

Comment

I considered the 17-S but my main problem is that I would be lugging it around for college and a 17 inch is rather difficult to work with in that regard.
                        If you intend for your laptop to be completey portable sometimes even 15 inches is pushing it. So steer clear of the 17- S if you plan to carry your laptop several places. Especially class (I have been in a lot of classes w/ small desks)
                        Origin S.O. #39 "Nefarious"

Comment

I've seen students with the 17" laptop and I must say they were struggling, especially when it comes to a packing time when you travel somewhere. Even on campus it was too much with books and other stuff you are caring for your classes

Comment

Working...
                          X