Announcement

Collapse

IMPORTANT Announcement.

Hello to all members new and old. Welcome to Origin Niche.

Just want to say that if you have posted in the tech-support forum or are just generally looking for help or an assist with something, and you think that nobody has seen your post, please feel free to PM me or any of the other Moderators and Administrators, we'll reply as soon as we can.

Redphyve
(Admin)
See more
See less

EON15-X 10-Series, My first real gaming laptop!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EON15-X 10-Series, My first real gaming laptop!

Hello peoples of OriginPC!!!

In the years I've been using computers, dating as far back as 1986, I've personally built all but 2 of them. My first PC was a Commodore 64. It was bought by my father for our family. I was so into computers that when the time came to replace it with an i486, he and I build it together. Since then, I built almost every computer I used. I had once bought a laptop for minimal gaming (dedicated 256MB 96XXm Nvidia if memory serves me right.) So, this is the first time in over 10 years I've found a company I respected enough to build one for me. Now, I know it's a laptop but I've shifted in desiring a more mobile solution. I also wanted one that would output to my 3 monitors and support Nvidia Surround (Love playing Elite Dangerous on it!)

Here is a summary of the EON15-X 10 Series I chose:

Display Type: EON15-X QFHD 3840 x 2160 15.6" G-SYNC Matte Display
    Keyboard and Touchpad: Customizable Backlit Keyboard w/ Three Lighting Zones and Multiple Color options and Multi-gesture Touchpad
    Graphic Cards: Single NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB [VR Ready]
    Processors: Intel Core i5 6600K Quad-Core 3.5GHz (3.9GHz TurboBoost)
    Memory: 16GB ORIGIN PC Approved DDR4 2400MHz (2 X 8GB)
    Hard Drive: 250GB ORIGIN PC Approved Solid State Drive
    Hard Drive Two: 1TB ORIGIN PC Approved 5400RPM Hard Drive
    Audio: Integrated High-Definition Audio powered by Sound Blaster Xfi MB5 w/ external 7.1 support
    Onboard LAN: Killerâ„¢ E2400
    Networking: Killerâ„¢ Wireless AC 1535 Dual Band +BT (*Killer Doubleshot Pro enabled)
    SuperSpeed USB 3.0: SuperSpeed USB 3.0
    SuperSpeed+ USB 3.1 Type-C: USB 3.1 Type-C
    Media Card Reader: Media Card Reader
    Finger Print Reader: Integrated Biometric Area Fingerprint Reader
    Integrated Camera: Built-in 2.0M FHD Video Camera

I probably will not see it till after the middle of next month AND the anticipation is surreal! I used to drool over Alienware prior to their acquisition by Dell. I love that I could include my Twitter handle and I hope to see some images tagged to me during the process but one never knows.

Received a message from my sales rep. The order has been delayed. Now I could be frustrated but I have to ask, how and/or would that help? I have experience in building custom desktops. I used to manage a break/fix repair shop for about 5 years. I can attest to the fact that there are many things that could delay a custom build. I'd rather be patient/understanding and receive an awesome machine that be aggravated and push for them to get it to me on time. I believe if I did that, it may be rushed and I would not want to do that.

I'm patiently waiting OriginPC! Make me proud...

Comment

Six days later and I've been provided an update. I've been told my system is currently in the Integration Department and it may be another 2-5 business days. Lets see, OS and Driver install, probably from a pre-configured system image, 2-4 hours. But then, stress testing... When I OC'd my current desktop, I allowed Memory and CPU tests to run for 1-2 days EACH. I didn't get my system OC'd so I'm hopeful it will be to their satisfaction on the shorter end of their estimate!

Comment

So, update for today. I checked the status of my order yesterday to find it had shipped. When I recieved my shipping info, I fould it was sent out on the 19th... when I was told it could be up to 2-5 more business days. I've read on other recent orders that this had occurred to others. It really shows a lack of interdepartmental communication. Based on what I've read, this is very common as of late.

The estimated delivery day was for today. I saw it arrive at the largest distro hub last night... and it never left. I just got an update stating they sorted it incorrectly and will have to wait another business day. Man, the anticipation is turning into anxiety to some extent. Just have to keep being patient and wait.

Comment

Frustrating that they failed to notify you it had shipped but I'm sure it'll be worth waiting for. ;-)
          Peter
          Toronto, Canada
          Still using the last genuine
          Alienware ALX x58 R2 !

Comment

TBH Ex_Brit, I'm more frustrated at UPS atm, lol. Making me wait longer!

Comment

I know the feeling. Almost every online merchant I deal with uses UPS. I've found opening a "My Choice" account with them gives you some more control over deliveries (& pickups).
              Peter
              Toronto, Canada
              Alienware ALX x58 R2 !

Comment

HAHAHAHA.... just wow. So, I check today to find it was marked "Out for Delivery." I have a MyChoice account with this being updated via mms to my phone. I received an exception alert today. Come to find out, the ZIP code somehow got set to an incorrect one and it was in a city about 30min away. I've spoken to their CS and I've scheduled it for a pickup tomorrow from their Customer Center. Oh well, shit happens

Comment

OMG, good old UPS. Good luck ;-)
                  Peter
                  Toronto, Canada
                  Alienware ALX x58 R2 !

Comment

OK, another update but it's the best one. IT'S BEEN DELIVERED!!!! The CS Rep I spoke to actually called the driver and told him my tale. He drove it to my house and my wife signed for it. I just got off the phone with them making sure the drivers manager was informed of his going above and beyond. Little did I know it was his manager's suggestion! Now to get home and unbox! WOOT

Comment

Oh that's amazing. ENJOY !!
                      Peter
                      Toronto, Canada
                      Alienware ALX x58 R2 !

Comment

So, I've unbox, installed my first game on it, DOOM, and played till about 11PM. O... M... G... Nvidia Experience adjusted the setting to Ultra!! It was buttery smooth when playing. I got Minecraft with shaders running at 4k at around 30fps and over 60fps at 1080p. It's definitely an upgrade from my desktop (LGA 1366 i7/12GB RAM/780 4GB) and I am in love. I plan on doing a full review later this weekend.

Comment

Great, I'm jealous...;-)
                          Peter
                          Toronto, Canada
                          Alienware ALX x58 R2 !

Comment

Working...
                          X