Announcement

Collapse

IMPORTANT Announcement.

Hello to all members new and old. Welcome to Origin Niche.

Just want to say that if you have posted in the tech-support forum or are just generally looking for help or an assist with something, and you think that nobody has seen your post, please feel free to PM me or any of the other Moderators and Administrators, we'll reply as soon as we can.

Redphyve
(Admin)
See more
See less

"HAL 9000" In Depth Review! (Extremely Picture Heavy!!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "HAL 9000" In Depth Review! (Extremely Picture Heavy!!)

As promised, here is my thorough review of my OrginPC computer, order #19243! I’ve affectionately nicknamed it “HAL 9000”. (If you don’t know what I’m referring to… you fail your cinema test)

I’ve also noticed all the Stickies in Reviews are alienware for the most part… It’s time to change that! Let’s start with a short prologue, shall we?

Why did I choose OriginPC? :

To start with, let me just state I’m pretty darn savvy when it comes to computer hardware and software. After all, I spend all of my work days either up to my elbows in a computer, or up to my virtual neckline in code. So could I have just built this thing myself? Absolutely, but the question remains would I have done it as good as OriginPC?

After looking at the impeccable cabling routing, and the care that has clearly gone into my rig, I’m inclined to admit, my efforts would never look as good. So, the fact of the matter is, I’m willing to pay a premium for quality work, and some exemplary customer service. In my initial quest for a boutique PC builder, I had narrowed my search down to OriginPC, or IronSide Computers, and ultimately what led me to pick Origin was their website. (So give the web team a cookie!)

Fantastic website, with things clearly popping out at you, and very picture heavy in all the right places! IronSide Computers simply didn’t have the same level of quality design, and that led me to order from OriginPC. While not wanting to give away my entire review in the prologue, let me just note that I do not regret my decision in the slightest!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And now, the moment you’ve all been waiting for… The Review!!

Arrival:

Anything shipped by UPS in my area better be protected by neigh indestructible packaging, that’s all I can say. Every package UPS has ever delivered to my doorstep has been damaged/handled poorly in some aspect. (Like an order of CD’s that they put inside my grill during winter… I never even knew it arrived until I opened the grill for the summer cookout. I had just assumed it was lost.)

UPS instantly endeared me on the arrival of my new PC by dropping it off the dolly and out of the back of the truck. Not a gently bump, mind you, I mean it hit the tailgate of the truck coming down, tipped forward and hit the ground on its edge, and then proceeded to fall on its side, in a gravel driveway.

Mind you, this was as I was coming around the side of the truck to help him unload it… His excuse was that he slipped and dropped it. After inspecting it for damages and thankfully finding no external injuries, I asked him to make a note that the package was dropped during UPS handling (their damage claim system is stupid, so I always make sure the driver log any damage/mishandling), and then signed for it. Whew. After that heart-stopping moment, my PC (Or at the very least a giant wooden crate) was in my possession, and out of the clutches of UPS. After lugging it into the house, I begrudgingly admit that maybe he did slip, because the shipping crate weighs a ton!

Since UPS is really not connected with OriginPC in any way, the above segment will not be factoring into any scoring^

Unboxing:

I was originally going to do an unboxing video, but in the end decided that I wanted to have time to play with my new toy rather than mess with another camera. So, I took pictures instead. Looking back, I’m really glad I did, because if I was doing a live video, you’d be treated to me attempting to unscrew everything by hand for about 10 minutes. When they put those screws in, they REALLY put those screws in! Anyhow, pictures below, feast your mind:

There was some minor damage upon arrival, with the problems in question being that the front panel that covers the inset USB ports had popped off its hinge. Thankfully it looks worse than it really was, but this is what I was treated to upon opening the package:

The problem child turned out to be this hinge right here:

Which, using my handy pliers, I set back into the front panel, and reset the hinge pin. Final result is the door works again. It still has a slight offset on the left side, but not too noticeable, and I’m willing to let it slide:

Btw, if you're wondering, those scratches are not noticeable to the eye, my camera just picks up EVERYTHING....
    Also, the front foot was loose as well, the one side had come off of its mounting screws. Again, it isn’t a difficult fix, and after tightening some screws up, the foot snapped right into its slot, and is very secure. So no lasting damage overall.
    Except, I am left wondering, as I turn the cloth bag upside down, “what is that noise?”. Well, it appears something broke, somewhere, as there are tiny plastic pieces inside:

After a thorough inspection, I noticed that the front panel has a chunk off the inside of it, not too noticeable, but I believe that is where the plastic came from. Ah well, moving on!

What comes along with your actual PC? :

This is actually a question that I had about OriginPC when I was buying one, and that was, what exactly comes along with the PC? So, I decided to take some pictures of the included items below (note that all items below may not be present in your order):

First we have the bags including things like your solid SLI bridges, your VGA-DVI adapters, a flexible SLI bridge, all of the spare cables for your system, and some cable tags. I also find that Origin threw in two gummy bracelets that say Origin Millennium around the outside. Nice touch, but I’m not too sure I’ll be wearing them. We also see that Origin remembered to include the ASUS wireless receiver, that comes with the motherboard. It’s a magnetically attaching receiver, and seems solid enough. Also thrown in looks to be a magnetic SLI bridge cover (..?..) from ASUS.

Second, we see all the manuals, drivers, and assorted software that comes with the PC components. Here we also find instructions for the case, operating system, etc. I will say that the ASUS motherboard manual is really quite hefty!

Lastly, we see that Origin has packaged all the added software I had purchased in another box. Here we see the keyboard I ordered, the games, mouse pad, and also the Overclock Panel, that comes with the Maximus VI Extreme motherboard, which is totally cool. It comes with a mounting bracket for any of your front bays as well. I will definitely be playing with that in the future!

-------------
    Apparently 61 images exceeds the forums limit of 20 per post lol. Please do NOT post yet, review will be continued in following posts!!!-------------
    Last edited by Hellfire-1; 03-21-2014, 06:16 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    If you play Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat for PS4, send me a msg, always looking for more practice partners! Currently preparing for EVO 2016!

I scaled my pictures down finally, so my Millennium review is more user friendly and accessible! It can be found here -> *My Origin system review*

Re: "HAL 9000" In Depth Review! (Extremely Picture Heavy!!)

The Hardware Review-

Chassis:

My case model is the Corsair 650D. I personally purchased the case due to the lovely side panel window, which hides the drive cages while showing off the Mobo and its goodies, as well as it being a Mid-Tower case with impressive space and cable routing options. Upon actually seeing my PC, case and all, here are my thoughts. The case is huge! Not full tower PC huge, but big enough that I had to do some emergency finagling to make it fit on my desk.

That being said, I was aware of the size when I bought it, it’s just one thing to see a cardboard mock up, vs. the real deal. Not a detractor, just an observation.
    I think that the case feels extremely solid, and well built. The latches are smooth, and function with enough spring that I don’t see them wearing out any time soon. The front USB ports are wonderful, and give me enough room to plug in my wireless goodies, however, I will note that for devices with large bodies, they may have trouble plugging in the front due to the recessed nature of the front panel. It’s not an issue for me, however for some it’s something to remember!

Dust filters on the front and bottom come in/out smoothly, and look easy enough to clean. The hot swap drive bay on the top side of the case takes a bit of oomph to open/close, but once open slides back and locks nicely. Inside, there is a nice plastic guide for small drives to fit perfectly, while pushing down into the case when laying a larger drive over top. It works perfectly, and is a wonderful feature for me to have, removing the hassle of messing with the insides of the case. It also features an inset 3 speed fan control by the hot swap bay, which is a bit hard to click for me, and maybe a bit easy to miss, but otherwise functions correctly.

On removing the right hand, non windowed panel, I find that the cabling has been nicely routed behind the mounting panel, and everything is nicely tucked away. On attempting to re-install the right hand panel though, I do note that the routing side could maybe have done well to be a bit deeper, as there is definitely some maneuvering to be done to get the side panel back on without bulging the sides. Overall though, it’s expected, and the amount of times that I’m going to be removing the right hand panel are slim. (hopefully!)

On the inside, the moveable hard drive bays are a nice touch, allowing me to completely remove them entirely, if I would decide to do so. (I’m not, btw).

The drive caddies are flexible, but at the same time have a nice solid feel to them, and once you set a drive in them, you get the impression that it’s going to stay secure.

Overall the case is simply wonderful, great layout, and presentation. If I had to pick one thing to say bad about it, it would probably be the paint. The paint job, while looking sleek, does give the impression when running your hand across it that it may easily scrape off. However, I am not going to test this, and since I see no visual blemishes yet, I’m hoping that I’m incorrect on that.

Still with me? Great, we’re only past the case review! Still more to go! Let’s move onto the Mobo itself, shall we?

Motherboard:

The motherboard in question is the ASUS Maximus VI Extreme, and was something that I was on the fence on for a while about. Due to me intentionally not buying a k version of my CPU off the bat, I knew that I would not be able to take advantage immediately of the overclocking candy this board offers.

However, due to the fact that I usually get a K model of an older CPU for cheap later in its life cycle and then overclock it to save some quick cash on upgrading other things, I knew I would probably have a use for its features down the road. So, with some minor waffling, I decided to stick with my choice.

I wish I could offer some insight to the cooler features of this board, especially the overclock tidbits, but considering I just received this computer, let’s just stick with first impressions for now, shall we?

Stylistically, I love the design. It’s sharp looking, and has a wonderful Red/Black color scheme. All card slots are sturdy and register correctly.

It also has these wonderfully handy toggle switches along the upper right hand side, along with an action report LED’s on the upper side. (Not exactly the correct name for that, I believe it’s Q-code LED’s…).

Also on the bottom, we see several more switches including the fast boot toggle on the far left. They’re placed perfectly so as to not have to remove any cards, etc to get at the switches. Hopefully I won’t have to though!

Upon plugging the PC in, you’ll notice that the start and reset buttons begin to glow. It’s worth a mention that these lights are quite bright, and when turning off all the lights in the room, it’s bright enough that it casts rays of light all over the ceiling. This may bother some light sleepers if you keep your computer next to your bed or something. An easy fix is to just cover up the PC with the handy Origin blanket when you’re done with it!

My only negative note is I was actually having trouble with the included Wireless attachment for this Mobo, interestingly enough. After an hour or two of fiddling with settings, and plugging/unplugging cables, I eventually gave up, and resorted to a USB external wireless stick, and that worked like a charm. I’ll keep messing with the wireless though, and see if I can make it work!

Alrighty, that pretty much wraps up my thoughts on the motherboard for now at least. Aren’t you glad I didn’t do a video review? My god, I’d be up to a 15-20 minute video already. Hopefully you’re still interested though, because we’re not nearly done yet! Onto… RAM!

----------
    Again, I've exceeded the limit, please hold off on posting!!!
    ----------
    Last edited by Hellfire-1; 03-21-2014, 06:25 PM.
    If you play Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat for PS4, send me a msg, always looking for more practice partners! Currently preparing for EVO 2016!

I scaled my pictures down finally, so my Millennium review is more user friendly and accessible! It can be found here -> *My Origin system review*

Comment

RAM :

This’ll be the shortest review section of them all I think, because well… it’s RAM. There’s not much to say overall about RAM, RAM is RAM, just with a few tweaks and such depending on brands, etc. The RAM pictured here is Corsair Vengeance, 2x 8gb cards for a total of 16gb of RAM at 1866Mhz. I’ve always approved of Corsair, and yet again they don’t let me down. It functions perfectly, and although I will admit I could have just gone with the same setup at 1600Mhz, but hey, it was only a few bucks extra, so I admit I splurged a bit to make my brain feel better. Now, I know I could run a Memory test, but really I just want to get back to playing with my new computer, so forgive me if I make my RAM review a little less than thorough.

This is a good time to mention however, that when I was looking at the memory sticks themselves, I had taken one out of the Mobo, and then when I was done, I without thinking, put it into slot 1A by mistake. Note to all people, Dual channel works much better if you actually put the RAM in the correct slots. They are color coded for a reason. I noticed this before even turning the computer back on though, my forgetfulness was only temporary!

CPU:

I went with a Haswell 4770 right out of the gate. I normally don’t like being a guinea pig for new tech, but I thought “why not?” The results so far have been stellar! I have yet to throw anything at it that truly makes it chug along. My old core 2 Duo would frequently hit 100% usage on intensive programs, mainly modelers and such, and having come from that, it’s so refreshing to have no issues with performance.

On idle, I was getting average temps of around 30C. I had a few things open at the time. Under load, I’ve seen the core temp spike up in the 70C range, but then it settles out at 55C-ish, although eventually it can climb to 70C again. This was not at 100% load, I’ll have to use Prime or something to get it that high, because I really seem to be unable to make it stress on my own power. However I’m a bit hesitant, due to the temps I’m seeing at around 50%, but hey, I’ve got to test it sometime right?

I will say that the Haswell line seems to pump out some serious heat, and I have doubts that had I bought the K model, whether I’d have even been able to keep the temps under control with my current setup. All things considered however, at stock I see solid performance, and manageable temps, so it nets at the very least, a strong ‘B+’ rating from me.

(It’s worth being noted as well that the temperature in my house is well into the mid 80F range currently too)

Graphics Card(s):

I’m pretty sure this is the area that a lot of you have been interested in. The graphics cards in my system are SLI’d 2GB EVGA GTX 770’s, and all I can say is wow! Let me say that one more time…”WOW”! First off, let me start this by saying the cards themselves were slightly unexpected. All the reviews and retailers present the reference card version of the 770 in images, with it having the Nvidia blower design and looking akin to the GTX 780 and the Titan, being silver in color. The purchased results were… slightly different.

As you can see, the 770’s I received are not the reference design, instead featuring a black housing, with a gold plate emblazoned with the EVGA logo and card label, and the traditional EVGA blower cooler. This was a difficult thing for my brain to process on first glance. It was one of those situations where your brain had been expecting something, and reality showed it to be different. I don’t want to say it was disappointing, because that’s not true. It was just a shock for my brain.

However, once I reformatted my brain to accept what it was looking at, I went forward with no bias or bad feelings. As far as visuals go, I will say that in the end, these actually look BETTER than I was expecting. Before, I was wondering how I was going to justify these big silver cards in my Black/Red themed case, while now I have something that looks great. Above looking great, it looks like it belongs in my PC, which is a huge plus!

The cards physically are pretty hefty, they feel solid, and are around 10 -1/2” long (Sorry metric folks), but that is purely a guestimate, as I didn’t measure. I’m sure EVGA has the dimensions for anyone truly worried. Regardless of how long they are, they fit with room to spare inside the 650D chassis.

Performance wise, I am amazed. I have yet to see a single stutter, dip, crash, etc, in any of the games I’ve thrown at it. In fact, with SLI (and without), they manage frames well into the 100’s, with games like Bioshock Infinity, Syrim, Dishonored, and pretty much anything else I throw at it, all at Ultra. (The exception is Hitman Absolution… for some reason this game eats frames for breakfast. Even on a SINGLE monitor display, and SLI’d I’m barely getting 80 frames. I’m chalking it up to things not being optimized currently).

For temps, I was getting an idle that settled at about 30C, which is great! When playing BF3, I’ve seen the temperatures as high as 80C, but never in the 90 range, which is fantastic! The blower coolers on the cards are quiet, and keep things under control, which is all I can ask for. I may be able to get better temps when I get around to messing with settings more. I will note that EVGA’s Precision X seems to do a poor job keeping GPU’s at acceptable temps right out of the gate, and required some significant tweaking to get a profile that I felt safe to stop checking gauges with. (And I’m still tweaking, mind you).

I think that in a modern computer, if you’re planning a single monitor setup, a single GTX 770 is enough to knock the socks off just about anything! Throw two 770’s together for higher res, multi monitor play, and still the results are nothing short of obscene. The cards take everything I’ve tested with them, and just runs over it like a herd of cape buffalo… I don’t think anything will be stopping them for quite a while.

My final words on the 770’s are, if you’re looking for bang for your buck, you’d be hard pressed to find a better option. It’s significantly cheaper than both the 780, and heaven forbid, the Titan, and yet functions at almost the same level. Fantastic choice for people looking for a card in the $400 range. I couldn’t be more pleased with my purchase!

Alrighty, tired yet? Me too, but thankfully my review is nearing its conclusion, so hang in there! I just have a few more items to go over, and then I’m done, and trust me, I’m more tired than you, this has taken me around 4-5 hours to type up so far. Onto the system cooling!

-------------
      Can you guess?? Yup, exceeded image limit again :P Don't Post!!!
      -------------
      Last edited by Hellfire-1; 03-21-2014, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Cooling Performance:

The cooling performance of my rig overall is… interesting. I went with the Origin Frostbyte 120 cooler, which is actually a Corsair H60, and replaced the case fans with Origin High Performance RED fans. The fans themselves are fairly quiet, even at max speed, and seem to do a good job moving air around. There are no audible rattles, visual wobbles, etc, and they look very nice.

My first bad mark is with the liquid cooling setup on the CPU. The H60 is just not doing a good job at keeping the CPU at what I would consider normal temps. For a water cooling setup, I really shouldn’t be seeing the temps that I’m seeing. My CPU temps are on par with a stock air cooler… while using a liquid cooling setup. I honestly can’t tell if the pump is even working. I will be having a look at that tonight to be sure. Fortunately the block itself seems to be a decent heatsink, but after only 30 minutes of gaming, my CPU temps are nearing 70C at max fan speeds…

This makes me worry about extended gaming sessions and reliability. When putting your hand on the back exhaust, it is extremely warm. This makes me think that either the pump is having issues, or the H60 just can’t quite cut it with Haswell. I know for certain that I wouldn’t dare overclock with this cooler judging by what temps are showing at stock if I had bought the K version of my CPU. I may experiment with the fan setup a bit. All I know currently is that it will be a while before I feel I can game securely without monitoring my temps, and I will keep you updated…

Also, another observation is actually going to be pointed at the fans, both existing, and/or lack thereof. The corsair 650D comes stock with a 120mm fan on the rear, and 2x 200mm fans, one located at the top acting as exhaust, and the other located behind the front screen acting as intake. These fans were removed to make room for the new RED fans that would be installed on my rig. The 200mm exhaust fan was replaced with a single 120mm fan located on the top right side, and the rear exhaust was also replaced by a radiator with dual fans. The front fan was kept as is.

This leads me to wonder, “what happened to the stock 200mm fan?”. I get that it obviously had to be removed to make room for the new fans. However, once removed, what happened to it? Considering I paid for the 650D chassis, I thought maybe that they might throw the stock fan in somehow along with the other parts. Now, do I actually have a use for it? No, not really, but you can never have enough computer parts. It’s not necessarily a “bad” thing, but it does leave me curious where the fan went… Does OriginPC have a giant pile of stock coolers that they keep having to remove? O_o

Overall though, I’m satisfied with the cooling performance of the PC. It keeps everything in acceptable ranges, and that’s what it’s designed to do. Time will tell if it is truly up to par.

Sound Card:

I’m not really an Audiophile. However, I do appreciate the difference between onboard audio, and a dedicated sound card. The sound card in question is the Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe, and it was $100. That leaves it as a fairly cost efficient option for a buyer not looking to shell out $200+ on a sound card, but yet aiming for more than onboard sound. You can see it here:

I’m not a huge fan of the software that comes with it, because it’s a bit clunky and obnoxious, but it functions well. Switching between onboard audio, and the Recon3D when comparing sounds in Battlefield 3, the difference is huge! Sounds are clearer, crisper, and no longer do you suffer toned down audio in certain ranges. Things just sound better, there’s simply no other way to say it!

The card itself is marketed with some gimmicks, particularly the “Scout Mode” of the Recon card line, supposedly allowing you to hear footsteps and such easier in game. I’ve had this off, and on, and I honestly can’t hear a bit of difference. But really, if you’re buying a soundcard for that feature then you have bigger problems. My headset functions more than well enough to accurately pick out footsteps even with regular audio. Not a fantastic card, and maybe some audiophiles will find it to be underwhelming, but for $100, you’ll be hard pressed to find a better deal on a soundcard.

Media Card Reader + Optical Drive:

Did I say that the RAM would be the shortest? I lied… Not much to say about either of these besides they function correctly! The card reader has a very slight wiggle to it, but nothing to the point where I’d say it’s bad.

Power Supply:

My PSU is the Corsair 1050w HX1050. It functions correctly, it’s beefy enough to get anything done and then some, and there’s really not a whole lot to mention about this either. It feels very secure in its holder. Although, thanks to that darn blue sticker, it is the only thing in the entire rig not aligning to the Red/Black theme. >.< Oh well, haha.

Lighting:

Some people think adding lights to your PC is cheesy. I prefer to think of it as “artistic flair”. So, for only $20 extra, I added in some Red LED’s. They look great in a dark room, and really accent the Red/Black theme I was going for fantastically! Enjoy some pictures of a darkened room:

Although, to note one thing that I didn’t add, the Power indicator on the 650D is BLAZINGLY bright… like holy cow, I could use my PC as a lighthouse. So I’m not quite sure what I’m going to do about that, maybe I’ll get used to it.

Are you still with me? Gosh, you’re devoted, aren’t you? It’s almost over, I promise, the final two sections are below!

Final Thoughts/First Impressions:

I could not be happier with my computer. It looks good, it runs so nicely, and it’s a purchase I’ll be happy with for quite a while. The computer is solid, and put together with obvious care, and that makes me so happy! The computer weighs a lot, haven’t got an exact amount, but let’s just say LAN parties are out the window.

Still, I knew exactly what I was buying, and this was never a LAN party computer anyway. This was meant to be a powerful workstation/gaming machine, to last me quite a while. I think it will do just that!

There were a few bumps at the start, that involved some minor repairs, but it’s not a huge deal, the fixes are easy with a few tools, I was able to fix every problem that I encountered. There were no lasting cosmetic damages, or glaring performance issues.

As far as noise goes, on the lowest fan speed, the thing is whisper quiet. However, I find myself running the fans at medium/high most of the time for decent temps, and with the fans on high, and both the 770’s blowing some serious heat, it can be a bit loud. Not totally distracting, but definitely loud enough to remind you that you have a computer next to you. Still, for a machine of its caliber, I accept a little noise.

The only mark off come from the cooling performance, and even that is acceptable, it’s just not what I was expecting, and the fact that I don’t feel safe leaving it to its own devices without checking on it is enough for me to make note of it here. I may swap out the H60 in the future with something with some more oomph, because Haswell is giving it a challenge. Even with that little bump in the road though, my final rating is…

My OriginPC Computer, #19243, and dubbed “HAL 9000” gets a rating of 4.8/5 smileys!

+ 4/5!

If you’ve stuck through the review up until the end, thanks so much! It took a long time to write up (About 12 hours if you include the pictures and lighting and posting etc), but hopefully it helps people! I’ll post more info, benchmarks, etc, as I continue to test and enjoy my new PC! See you around!

A note to OriginPC:

I’d like to thank everyone at OriginPC, for taking so much care in producing a quality machine. Your love of computers and quality of service is evident every time I look at my new computer. It just makes me smile so much. A special thanks to a few people as well:

Thanks so much to Bryant, who answered all of my questions and then some, and had the patience to put up with all of my worried emails. It was a huge help in easing my buyers anxiety! Can’t thank you enough!

Thanks to Origin_Heimatlos, for posting me some picture of my computer on the forum! If you didn’t do that, I probably would have gone stir-crazy! It was a nice touch of customer service that not many people would do!

Finally, thanks to the people on the Sales team who were prompt with answering my initial questions regarding OriginPC, your quick response was another deciding factor in my purchase!

So far, my experience with OriginPC has been exemplary, and I would buy from Origin again. I can safely say that as long as you don’t sell out to another company, for my next PC, I will definitely come calling to Origin!

-Hellfire

P.S- If the internet screws up an un-formats this, I'm going to cry

P.P.S: Finally fit it all in!! You may now feel free to post!
        Last edited by Hellfire-1; 03-21-2014, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Re: &quot;HAL 9000&quot; In Depth Review! (Extremely Picture Heavy!!)

EDITORS NOTE:

Maybe I should not have used such a high res camera. :P

Sorry if I blew up anyone's computer, but hey, look at that detail!

Comment

Jeez Hellfire! Took me a while to load all the pictures and I ran into an issue when trying to reply to this thread, had to use the "Quick Reply option' instead, but nonetheless those images came out really nice. Talk about an in-depth review eh?!
            My camera also takes huge images but I re sized them using Paint.net when I posted mine.

Now I have a few suggestions for ya. After inspecting the photos I see the PC has a single 200m fan on the front? can't quite tell, and I also noticed the top hard drive cage is empty, why don't you completely remove it for better air flow like I did? Also Haswell do tend to run on the warm side. Did you ask for an Overclock or plan on doing one?
            When I first received my Millenium with an overclocked i5 4670k @4.2GHz I took notice of the Core Voltage (was higher than I expected) and also noticed Adaptive voltage was turned off. I then proceeded to log in normally and monitor the temps without making changes in bios, and same as you, felt a bit uncomfortable at first so I went back and adjusted the Core Voltage down to 1.220v as well as turned Adaptive mode on (note: for Adaptive to work as intended make sure to adjust CPU Power options on the OS control panel) and voila! my temps dropped dramatically. All cores now idle in between 25-30 degrees where before they sat at around 35-40. Under load (Modded Skyrim, FFXIV) they hover in between 55-60 degrees.

And by the way, how is your AC performing did you get it fixed yet? that will definitely also contribute to lowering temps. What are the fans connected to? PSU or to Motherboard? mine are plugged to PSU and thus run @ 100%.

Edit: At first I skimmed by reading the entire post and clearly missed key aspects, sorry Hellfire. I asked for things here that you had already discussed up top.
            Last edited by Hidden03; 07-13-2013, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Holy Cow Hidden, you're right, I broke the forums! I can't hit the "reply" button. woops

When I say I resized the images though, I did the same as you, I resized them with paint... from about the size of a wall to the size of a wall poster. They were taken with a high detail macro lens, for the most part, they used to be about 8mb a picture... (^_^) Trust me when I say I cut them waaaaaay down. Apparently not quite enough though hehe.

Yes, the intake fan is the stock 200mm fan located behind the drive cages. I didn't remove the empty case because I tested it with both the case out and in, and the difference was 1C at best. So I kept them in for looks. If I eventually feel that the airflow is becoming an issue though, I will remove the top cage entirely.

I didn't order any overclocks because I ordered the locked version of my CPU, and that's what I'm using now. I could probably bump it like 200Mhz, but that's it, and even that I'm not willing. I did however, get some better temps tonight, I removed the H60, and re-installed it after checking it was contacting correctly, and it dropped my CPU temps significantly. My Idle is now 25C, and under loads like BF3 and such, it only jumps to 55C. Much happier with those numbers!

I also created a different fan curve for the 770's, and it keeps them nice and cool at about 30C, and the highest I've seen them jump to is now 58C. Perfect, in my opinion.

And no, my A/C isn't fixed yet, but as I'm sitting here, it's 75F, so not too warm anyways. But yes, that'll help too.

The fans look to be on the Mobo, and are easily adjustable between low-med-high speeds using the fan controller.

P.S: And I totally warned you in advance about the photos!
              Last edited by Hellfire-1; 07-13-2013, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Excellent review! Enjoy HAL9000. Hopefully, this version of HAL doesn't become homicidal.
                sigpic

Comment

WOW I read your review yesterday on my phone, but I couldn't reply for obvious reasons... :P.
                  Anyway nice review Hellfire, those were some nice pictures. when I get mine ill take some pictures, but I don't think ill be able to do a good review such as this one haha.
                  have fun with your new system that looks awesome.

P.S. when you mentioned the video cards don't look the normal silver. I went through the menu and check how they look in the "build your system" menu, the 770 looks like the ones in your pictures, so now im gonna see how mine will look lol.
                  sigpichttp://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2878440546

Comment

Some more updates:

-I began to encounter some stabity issues with BF3, mainly with textures flickering uncontrollably. After testing both my graphics cards, and the SLI bridge, I was leaning towered a driver issue.

-After doing a quick check, I saw that I was still running the 320.18 release. 320.49 update was available. Before doing the update, I deleted manually all the previous profiles that Nvidia had set up, and the did a clean install of driver version 320.49.

-Testing now shows that release 320.49 did indeed fix the issues I was encountering with BF3. It also bumped my performance up, even with Vsync on (EDIT: this was an error, Vsync was off...), which is nice. Not that I really needed even more frames a second, but hey, improvements!

Moral of the story? Updating drivers are important!! d(^_^)b

---------
                    On another note, booted my baby up this morning, and what do I see? Processor temps through the roof?! At "idle", it was showing temps of 45-55C?? I look at the usage and see that something is using 43% of my CPU... -__-

Well then... the hunt is on. I loaded the task manager, and scrolled through the processes. I find nothing. Nada. Zilch. Hmmm. Well, then the next thought is that maybe it's not directly on this account (I always create a backup Admin profile). So I view all processes. I sort by CPU usage, and BAM I find the culprit.

Cyberlink PowerDVD is munching away at 45% of my CPU, for some media connectivity thing. Unacceptable. I disabled my internet, and sure enough, I see the CPU throttle back down to 1%. Re-enabling the net makes it go right back to what it was doing before, which is being a major pain in the ***.

Needless to say, I've disabled PowerDvD for the time being. I'll look into it later, but right now, I'm refusing it access to the internet, period.

After fixing that issue, things are back to normal.

--------
                    In tonights update, my computer is too good for Skyrim to handle... Seriously. O_o

I was encountering some odd micro-stuttering with the mouse when playing Skyrim. After some testing and tweaking, I noticed that my frames were never dipping, always at a constant 60, yet I was getting HORRIBLE stuttering. Suspecting Vsync was the culprite I switched over to adaptive Vsync in the Nvidia Control Panel, and sadly was getting the same issues. So, I turned Vsync off in the control panel. This removed the stuttering, but produced extreme tearing issues. I'm not entirely how the problem is occurring in the first place. But oh well.

Anyhow, after downloading a frame limiter, and then making some changes to my frame buffer, I have locked my frames for Skyrim at no higher than 58 FPS, and it seems to have worked, the stutter is gone.

Nothing better than having to throttle back your computer so that it doesn't strangle your games. XD
                    Last edited by Hellfire-1; 07-15-2013, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Awesome review Hellfire-1.

Made it a Sticky.

Happy computing.
                      You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

M17X Black Metallic- Intel Core2 Duo T9600 2.8 GHz, 6 GB RAM 1066MHz, 17.0 WUXGA, 1GB Dual GTX 260M SLI-enabled, 250 GB 7200 rpm HD, 8X Dual Layer DVD Burner, Windows7 Ultimate 64bit.

Comment

Great Review and great Pics!!Sorry to hear about UPS. Please give our support staff a call if you need to make any tweaks or if you have any issues. What camera did you use to take the pics??
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks!

It's been a while since I actually looked at the name, so don't quote me on this, but I believe it's a Canon EOS 60D. I forget the Lens attachment I was using, but it takes crystal clear pictures.

For some of the photos however, that required some angled shots in tight spaces, I used my Canon Powershot camera, since it's smaller and more maneuverable. It still takes fantastic pictures though.
                          Last edited by Hellfire-1; 07-16-2013, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Awesome Review Hellfire. Thanks for trusting in us to provide you with a great gaming system.

If you have any issues or concerns feel free to contact us at any time.

now get back to gaming!!!! =P

Comment

Awesome Review, and by the way your Cat is awesome

Please let us know how it runs! It definitely looks amazing.
                              :starwarsfight: Team ORIGINPC

Comment

Working...
                              X